Globalization is the context of economic and academic trends that are part of the 21st century reality. Internationalisation of education is the process of integrating an international, inter-cultural and/or global dimension in the goals, functions (teaching/learning, research, services) and delivery of higher education. Internationalization includes the policies and practices undertaken by academic systems and institutionsand even individualsto cope with the global academic environment. The motivation for internationalization includes commercial advantage, knowledge and language acquisition, enhancing the curriculum with international content, and many others. Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences has inculcated an educational vision able to provide global society with an education that meets current needs and that can respond efficiently to contemporary demands and challenges, which are characterized by globalisation, interdependence, and multiculturalism. Specific initiatives such as, cross-border collaborative arrangements, programs for international students, and others have been put into place as part of internationalization. The total strength of international students pursuing various diploma, degree and doctoral programmes at SHIATS has increased to over 407 from a few students in the past years.
To further strengthen globalization and internationalization of the University, SHIATS has collaborated with numerous international institutions and organisations. The main objectives of these collaborations encompass the exchange of scientific knowledge, long term staff and student exchange, holding of joint academic events such as seminars / workshops and conferences, etc.
The vision of the Directorate of International Education and Training is to foster an academic, social and cultural environment to serve the needs of Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences' international community and promote internationalization to create a better intellectual environment for optimal human resource development. It will work towards the materialization and realization of the aspirations of SHIATS in terms of its contribution and advancement in technology and sciences with a global perspective.
The Directorate of International Education and Training strives to make SHIATS a prominent contributor in international education and research by training and educating international students. Its mission is to exchange scientific and technical knowledge on the international platform in order to contribute towards the various fields of education and research globally; to ensure the inculcation and development of international competencies amongst the faculty and students of SHIATS; to provide information, advice and assistance on a variety of issues affecting students and staff going abroad for training, seminars, projects, improvement programmes, etc. to liaison with the various faculties and departments of the university and provide assistance and information on matters pertaining to international students at SHIATS.
International Affairs Advisory Board:-
The International Affairs Advisory Board advises the Directorate of International Education & Training regarding the policies and strategies for the internationalization of SHIATS.
Directorate of International Education and Training
||Prof. Dr. Rajendra B. Lal, Hon’ble Vice Chancellor
||Prof. Dr. A.K.A. Lawrence,
Pro Vice Chancellor (Academic Affairs)
||Prof. Dr. S.B. Lal,
Pro Vice Chancellor (Administration)
||Prof. Dr. Robin L. Prasad,
||Prof. Dr. M. Imtiyaz,
Director, DIET & Dean, FET
||Mr. Stephen Das,
Joint Director (International Education)
||Prof. Dr. ir. Jonathan A. Lal,
Dean, JSBB & Director IP&C
||Dr. B.B. Rai,
||Prof. Dr. C.K. Shukla,
Director, Professional & Technical Education
||Prof. Dr. M. Imtiyaz
||Dr. Stephen Das
||Mr. Donald Denis
||Dr. Ashish Ratan Mishra
||International Students’ Advisor
||Dr. Rohit Farmer
||International Training Associate
||Mr. Mizan Siddiqui
In order to expand the horizons of education and overlook the political boundaries and provide a platform for global development, the University has signed the MOU with the following foreign universities / organizations:
- Dronten Professional Agricultural University, Netherland
- Campus Outreach, Minneapolis, USA
- MEAC Technical Industries, Dubai, UAE
- Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Rakuno Gakuen University, Japan
- Educational Consultants India Limited, New Delhi
- University of Riverside, Riverside, CA, USA
- School of Veterinary Science, University of Queensland, Australia
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), USA
- School of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Alabama, A & M University, Alabama, USA
- Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec), Hamilton, New Zealand
- Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok
- SAILCON Education Group, China
- Beijing Science & Technology University, Beijing, China
- Huanghe Science & Technology University, Zhengzhou, China
- Henan Finance & Economy University, Henen, China
- Linyey Technology University, Luoyang, China
- Hefei University, Hefei, China
- Anqing Vocational College, Anqing, China
- Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering & Technology, Ludhina (Punjab), India
- Al-Fateh University, Libya
- University of Babylon, Babylon, Iraq
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources, Republic of Rwanda
Visit of Foreign Delegates
The following foreign delegates visited Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad, India to explore the possibilities for cooperation in education and research:
- Prof. Kattesh V. Katti, Director, University of Missouri Cancer Nanotechnology Platform visited SHIATS on 7th to 8th November, 2011 to deliver a lecture on 'Applications of Green Nanotechnology in medicine and biotechnology' and to explore the possibilities collaboration between SHIATS and University of Missouri, USA.
- Mr. Peter James Davey, Global Development Director, Innovation Park, New Zealand visited SHIATS institute to prepare “Pre Feasibility Study Report for Modernizing & Developing a Dairy Farm” at SHIATS from 8th October 2011 to 9th October, 2011.
- Dr. Othman I.A. Abubakar, Counselor of Education and Training, Libyan People's Bureau visited SHIATS on 18th August 2011 to further discuss the possibilities of faculty and student exchange.
- Prof. (Dr.) C. K. Shukla, Additional Director Development and Mr. Amitabh, Special Secretary (Agriculture Education & Research), Govt. of Uttar Pradesh, visited Waikato Institute of Technology, Hamilton, New Zealand in June, 2011.
- Delegation from Tanzania led by Hon'ble Minister of Water, Mr. G. H. Lwenge, including Mr. Christopher N. Sayi, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Water, Mr. Archard Mutalemwa, Chief Executive officer, Dar-es- Salaam Water Supply, Mr. Emmanuel Munda, Acting Assistant Director, Human Resourse Management, Tanzania visited SHIATS on 26th July, 2011 regarding higher education and training of Tanzanian nationals and explore the possibilities of association and collaboration between SHIATS and Ministry of Water, Tanzania through a Memorandum of Understanding.
- Dr. Chaiyaphol Kaewprakaisaengkul, Adjunct Faculty, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok visted SHIATS from 2nd July to 18th July, 2011 of taking classes for students of Unified Bachelor Master Programme in Agribusiness Management.
- Dr. Peeyush Soni, Coordinator Agribusiness Management, School of Environment, Resources and Development & Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok visted SHIATS in the month of June, 2011 for taking classes of students of Unified Bachelor Master Programme in Agribusiness Management.
- Dr. Nitin V. Afzulpurkar, Dean, School of Engineering & Technology and Dr. Nitin K. Tripathi, Associate Dean, School of Engineering & Technology, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand visited SHIATS on 9th March, 2011 and delivered seminar on “AIT - SHIATS Cooperation towards Excellence in Higher Education”
- Dr. Ganesh P. Shivakoti, Professor, School of Environment, Resources & Development, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok and Dr. Peeyush Soni, Coordinator Agribusiness Management, School of Environment, Resources and Development, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok visited SHIATS from 19th February, 2011 to 24th February, 2011 to deliver seminar on Unified Bachelors Masters Programme .
- Prof. Said Irandoust, Hon'ble President, Asian Institute of Technology visited SHIATS on 3rd November, 2010 as a Guest of Honour for the 100th year Convocation and to initiate the discussion with Hon'ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. (Dr.) R.B. Lal, SHIATS, regarding signing a Memorandum of Understanding between SHIATS and Asian Institute of Technology.
- Prof. (Dr.) Vilas M. Salokhe, Vice Chancellor, Kaziranga University, Jorhat, Assam, visited SHIATS from 2nd November, 2010 to 4th November, 2010 for the signing of Memorandum of Understanding between SHIATS and Kaziranga University, Assam.
Faculty Improvement Programme
Visit of International Alumnus during the Centenary Year Celebration
- Prof. Dr. D. M. Denis, Department of Soil, Water, Land Engineering and Management has been sponsored by the University in August, 2011 for Masters Programme in Remote Sensing and GIS at International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), Netherland.
- Er. Aditya Lal, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Agriculture Process and Food Engineering, has been sponsored by the University under the Faculty Improvement Programme in 2011 for Ph. D. in Food Engineering and Bioprocess Technology at the Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Er. Anjelo Denis, Junior Lecturer, Dept. of Soil, Water and Land Engineering, has been sponsored by the University under the Faculty Improvement Programme for M.Tech in Water Engineering and Management programme in 2010at the Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Mr. Stephen Das, Financial Consultant, Joseph School of Business studies, had been sponsored by the University under the Faculty Improvement Programme in 2010 for Dual Degree in MBA Finance and CFA at the London School of Business and Finance, UK.
- Er. Rahat Khan, Head & Associate Director, School of Film & Mass Communication had been sponsored by the University under the Faculty Improvement Programme in 2009 for M.Sc. Programme in the field of Media Technology at University of Bradford, UK.
On completing hundred years from establishment, the University hosted the Centenary Year Celebration from 25th October to 29th October, 2010. The celebration was graced by the presence of alumnus spread across the globe in large numbers, who were invited to the office of Prof. (Dr.) M. Imtiyaz, Vice Chairman, International Secretariat, for interaction.
Due to the continuous efforts of the Directorate of International Education and Training, the total strength of international students pursuing various diploma, degree and doctoral programmes at SHIATS has increased to 407. Presently SHIATS has students from Afghanistan, Bhutan, Guyana, Iraq, Libya, Myanmar, Nepal, Sudan, Uganda, Ethiopia, Namibia, etc.