Governance Other Academic Bodies Academic Committees Degree Equivalence & Credit Transfer Committee
Degree Equivalence & Credit Transfer Committee
The Committee visualize equivalence of degrees if the degree has been awarded by a university which is duly approved/recognized/accredited in its own country, full time regular student on the campus of the university in the foreign country, similitude of courses which have been cleared by the student, minimum eligibility qualification for admission to the programme of the study is at least the same as prescribed in India and duration of the programme of study. The minimum prescribed duration and minimum eligibility of various Programmes of Studies in India, is followed as specified by the University Grants Commission (UGC) vide Gazette Notification published from time to time.
||Prof. (Dr.) A K A Lawrence
||Pro Vice Chancellor AA
||Prof. (Dr.) P. Jayapandian
||Dean, Faculty of Science
||Prof. (Dr.) RajendraIssac
||Asso. Dean, VSAET
||Dr. Sheen C. Moses
||Associate Professor, Vaugh School of Agricultural Engineering & Technology
||Prof. (Dr.) Ajit Paul
||Controller of Examination
University’s Equivalence Committee has played a role in developing a national framework for equivalency recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). UGC & Association of Indian Universities (AIU) are the references for getting recognition of certificates and the equivalency for education levels in various domains (general education, higher education, and technical and vocational education.)
The committee is given the task of working on equivalency in pre-university general education classes and on equivalency in higher education in the following manner -
The Role of the Committee
- The academic mobility in India and abroad for security, economic, and cultural reasons
- The huge number of non-Lebanese who chose Lebanon to continue their studies at all levels;
- The existence of two educational sectors: private and public
- Diversity of educational systems used and officially recognized in India from the International Education system
- Respect the freedom of education
Take decisions on Equivalencies
1 - General Decisions
- Evaluating the different educational systems and diplomas according to the Indian system (number of years of study, number of credits, academic and curricular content)
- Recognition of complete or partial studies carried out by diploma holders of Indian and foreign qualifications
- Evaluating studies, in order to deliver a total or partial equivalence that would enable the student in question to be given access to further education
- Clarifying bridges between vocational and academic education
- Granting permission to overseas and Indian students, who live in or outside India, to pursue their studies in public or private schools/Universities in India, according to one of the educational systems which are officially recognized in India, or to apply to institutions of higher education (Public University or private institutions and universities).
2 - Decisions on “Nominative Equivalence” or Recognition of studies and granting equivalence.
- The Committee takes general decisions regarding educational certificates and apprenticeships in India and foreign countries.
- These decisions are ratified by Academic Council of the University.
- The equivalence is given to all holders of such degree and diplomas.
The committee reviews the file based on the India educational system or the foreign educational system to enable it to do the following:
- Give an equivalence to the complete studies
- Give a partial or conditional equivalence
- Accept the transfer of credits from one university to another.
The Committee works through some decisions to ensure the following:
4. Open and distance leanrnig studies
- Specify parity between vocational education and other forms of education
- Specify bridges between vocational and academic education in order to enable the student in question to apply to higher academic education.
- As per UGC Directives degrees/diplomas/certificates awarded by the open university/university offering distance learning programs inconfirmity with UGC notification of degrees may be treated as equivalent to corresponding awards of the traditional universities/institutions in the country.