Faculty Improvements Programmes
A. Vision and Mission of the Scheme
Human Resource Development of Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences remains as one of the most important sector which has to be dynamic so as to cater to the needs of the growing population of the country. The vision of the University is to develop and nurture a technical human resource, which produces skilled manpower of the highest quality, comparable to the very best in the world. Also to meet the complex technological needs of the economy and would provide the nation a comparative advantage in the creation and propagation of innovative technological solutions.
B. Aims and Objective
i. To promote skilled manpower in the field of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences.
ii. To ensure the highest quality output to be comparable to the very best in the world.
iii. To develop human resource for innovative technologies.
iv. To train/create human resource to work on interdisciplinary research programmes with facilities in Agriculture, Technology and Sciences.
v. To train faculty members to develop R & D and Consultancy culture.
The following category of staff shall be given opportunity in the scheme
Technical Officer / Technical Assistant
D. Quality Improvement Advisory Council (QIAC)
Quality Improvement Advisory Council (QIAC) will work for the smooth functioning of faculty improvement scheme. The constitution of QIAC shall be as under:
• Chairman - Hon’ble Vice Chancellor or his nominee
• Pro Vice Chancellor, Acad. - Member
• Pro Vice Chancellor, Admn. - Member
• Director Staff Welfare - Member Secretary
• Two Professors - Member
• One expert for specific faculty - nominated by the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor
E. Function of the Council
Council shall function as under:
1. Council shall indentify the areas in which human resource is to be trained in order to strengthen academic, research and extension programme of the university.
2. The council shall indentify the Universities / Institutions in India and abroad of academic excellence where the faculty members of the SHIATS are to be trained.
3. On the recommendation of the council and the approval of the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) shall be signed with the competent authority of the both stake holder.
4. The council shall indentify the potential candidate to pursue higher education at SHIATS / Indian or foreign Universities / Institutions.
5. The council shall direct the indentified candidate to apply through proper channel on the prescribed format.
6. The council shall scrutinize the application and recommend to the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor for approval.
7. The number of the candidate to be sent for higher studies / training shall be approved by the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor.
8. The council shall facilitate candidates for admission and financial support to contact concern Universities / Institutions for admission and financial support (if available).
9. The council shall recommend to the concern Universities / Institutions for admission and financial assistance of the candidate(s).
10. The council shall advise and assist the candidate regarding his / her additional requirement for the admission and financial assistance in foreign Universities / Institutions (Eg. TOEFL, IELTS and GRE).
11. The council shall recommend to the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor for study leave and financial assistance after receiving the admission letter and financial assistance (if provided) of the candidate.
12. The council shall monitor the performance of the candidate during the study period and apprise to the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor regularly.
13. On the approval of the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor the council shall withdraw all the facilities including leave provided to the candidate in case of emergency, poor performance and indiscipline in the host Universities / Institutions.
14. The council shall direct the candidate to report and submit copies of the relevant documents (Certificate / Degree) earned at the host Universities / Institutions.
F. Regulation for pursuing Higher Studies of In-service Candidates of SHIATS
I. Candidate Pursuing Higher Studies at SHIATS
i. On recommendation of the Council, the candidate may be granted permission by Hon’ble Vice Chancellor to pursue higher studies leading to UG, PG and Ph.D. degree.
ii. The permission to pursue higher studies may be granted initially for one year and may be extendable for one, two or three years depending upon the duration of program (Masters program – two years, extendable for one year, Ph.D. program – four years, extendable for one year i.e. total five years).
iii. In case of poor academic, performance and indiscipline, the permission for higher studies may be cancelled.
iv. The candidate may be given full salary during the study period.
v. The candidate indentified shall be given freeship for undertaking UG, PG and Ph. D. program. No university fee shall be charged.
vi. The teaching load to be assigned to candidate pursuing for PG / Ph.D. degree may be as under inorder to complete the degree in minimum prescribed period.
vii. During Course Work - 4 contact hours
viii. During research Work and compilation of research report - 8 Contact Hours
ix. The candidate has to be present in the concern Department during university working hour in order to complete the degree within prescribed duration. .
x. In case, candidate fail to earn degree in minimum prescribed period, he / she may be given special permission.
xi. In case candidate successfully complete the course work and submit his / her thesis, he / she may be given full salary (as the case may be) and teaching load as per the University norms.
II. Candidate Pursuing Higher Studies in other Indian / Foreign Universities / Institutes
i. On recommendation of the Council, the candidate may be granted permission by Hon’ble Vice Chancellor to pursue higher studies leading to PG and Ph. D. degree.
ii. Study leave may grant to those candidate who has completed 2/3 years of regular service at SHIATS.
iii. In special cases where specialized degree is required for ongoing teaching and research programme of the University, he / she may be granted permission for higher studies after competition of probation period.
iv. Study leave may be granted for two years for PG, 4 years for Ph.D. and one year for post doctoral programme.
v. The candidate approved by the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor for higher studies in India, may be given study leave with full salary, if he / she is being awarded fellowship / assistant ship from external sources. In case candidate is not awarded fellowship / assistant ship from external sources, he /she may be given study leave with full salary along with programme fee and one time establishment cost.
vi. The candidate approved by the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor for higher studies in foreign Universities / Institutions may be given study leave for the prescribed period of the programme with full salary, program fee, International Travel and additional financial assistance depending upon cost of living. However, the salary paid by the University shall be deducted from the total cost of living paid by the University in the foreign land. In case candidate awarded fellowship / assistant ship by the host institutions or other organizations, he / she may be given study leave with full salary only.
vii. In case, candidate fails to earn degree in minimum prescribed duration, he / she may be given extension on the recommendation of council by the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor.
viii. Study leave shall be counted as service for pension / contributory provident fund, personal promotion provided the teacher joins the university on the expiry of his / her study leave.
ix. Study leave granted to a teacher shall be deemed to be cancelled in case it is not availed within 12 months of its sanction. The teacher may apply again for such leave.
x. A teacher availing himself / herself of study leave shall undertake that he / she shall serve the university for a continuous period of at least five years to be calculated from the date of his / her resuming duty on expiry of the study leave.
xi. After the leave has been sanctioned, the teacher shall, before availing himself / herself of the leave, execute a bond in favor of the university, binding himself / herself for the due fulfillment of the conditions laid down as above which includes the refund of the salary and other expenses incurred on him / her.
xii. The teacher shall submit to the council, six monthly reports of progress in his / her studies from his / her supervisor or the Head of the Institution. This report shall reach the council within one month of the expiry of every six months of the study leave.